All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact email@example.com.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Director: Pamela Christianson, CMA (AAMA), CPhT (PTCB), BS
NOTE: This program is undergoing modifications. A new curriculum is coming Fall 2017. Please see your Advisor for specific program pre-requisites or for more information.
Medical Assistants are specially trained to work in ambulatory medical settings such as physicians’ offices, clinics, and surgical centers. These multi-skilled allied health personnel can function in both administrative and clinical areas.
The Great Falls College MSU Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). CAAHEP 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, 727.210.2350.
Upon graduation from an accredited program, students are eligible to sit for the certifying examination through the AAMA.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Perform many “front office” tasks including insurance billing, bookkeeping, and scheduling appointments and procedures.
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens and perform basic laboratory tests.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as suture removal, electrocardiography, and “back office” duties.
- Assist in patient care: screen patients, take vital signs, and assist with office procedures and patient exams.
- Administer medications applying pharmacology principles.
- Maintain medical and immunization records under medical provider’s supervision.
- Respond to and initiate written communications in a professional manner to patients and medical facilities.
- Follow legal guidelines in maintaining documentation and patient records and understand and apply HIPPA guidelines in the office setting.
- Utilize computer software competently for various medical office functions.
Estimated Resident Program Cost*
|Tuition and Fees||$9,171|
Fall 2016 MUS Student Health Insurance Premiums will be changing. Please check the Health Insurance website and/or Student Central for confirmed premium rates. Students will be charged an additional fee of $21 per credit for online/hybrid courses.
Many students need preliminary math, science, and writing courses before enrolling in the program requirements. These courses may increase the total number of program credits. Students should review their math and writing placement before planning out their full program schedules.
Students wishing to enter the Medical Assistant program are strongly advised to be proficient in keyboarding and typing.
Completion of the Health Science Orientation is required.
GFC MSU Additional Graduation Requirement
|COLS 103||Becoming a Successful Student +||1|
|ACTG 101||Accounting Procedures I **,+||3|
|AHMS 144||Medical Terminology +||3|
|CAPP 120||Introduction to Computers +||3|
|COMX 115||Intro to Interpersonal Communc +||3|
|Select one of the following:|
|WRIT 122||Intro to Business Writing **,+||3|
|WRIT 101||College Writing I **,+||3|
|AHMA 201||Med Asst Clinical Prcdrs I *,+||4|
|AHMS 156||Medical Billing Fundamentals *,+||4|
|BIOH 112||Human Form and Function I +||4|
|HTH 140||Pharmacology for HC Providers *,+||2|
|M 121||College Algebra (OR any math course in the MUS core ) **,+||3|
|AHMA 250||Electronic Medical Procedures *,+||2|
|AHMS 220||Medical Office Procedures *,+||3|
|PSYX 100||Introduction to Psychology +||3|
|AHMA 203||Med Asst Clinical Prcdrs II *,+||4|
|AHMA 260||Med Assist Lab Procedures I *,+||2|
|AHMA 262||Med Assist Lab Procedures II *,+||2|
|AHMS 158||Legal Rgltry Aspcts Hlthcare *,+||3|
|BIOH 113||Human Form and Function II *,+||3|
|AHMA 280||Medical Assisting Exam Prep *,+||2|
|AHMA 298||Medical Assisting Externship *,+||4|
|AHMS 160||Beginning Procedural Coding *,+||3|
|AHMS 201||Medical Science *,+||3|
Indicates prerequisites needed.
Placement in course(s) is determined by placement assessment.
A grade of C- or above is required for graduation.