All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medical Billing Specialist
Certificate of Applied Science Degree
NOTE: This program is in moratorium and will not be accepting new students.
The Medical Billing Specialist works in a variety of settings, including medical management organizations, physician's offices, hospitals, clinics, group practices, billing companies, and education. Students in this Certificate program are trained as entry-level billing specialists. All courses in this curriculum can be applied to the AAS in Medical Billing and Coding.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Abstract information from patient records for reimbursement purposes.
- Use current ICD and CPT coding appropriately.
- Complete ‘‘clean” claims, CMS/UB-92, for private insurances and government programs such as TRICARE, Medicare, Medicaid, and Worker’s Compensation.
- Analyze explanations of benefits (EOBs) and Remittance Advice (RA) forms and post to patient accounts.
- Amend incorrect claims, appeal claims that did not pay correctly, and trace outstanding claims.
- Understand and work within HIPPA guidelines for medical facilities.
- Interact and communicate with other healthcare workers in a professional manner, following medicolegal and ethical standards.
Estimated Resident Program Cost*
|Tuition and Fees||$4,882|
Fall 2017 MUS Student Health Insurance Premiums will be changing. Please check the Health Insurance website and/or Student Central for confirmed premium rates. Students will be charged an additional fee of $21 per credit for online/hybrid courses.
Many students need preliminary math, science, and writing courses before enrolling in the program requirements. These courses may increase the total number of program credits. Students should review their math and writing placement before planning out their full program schedules.
Students wishing to enter the Medical Billing Specialist program are strongly advised to be proficient in keyboarding and typing.
GFC MSU Additional Graduation Requirement
|COLS 103||Becoming a Successful Student +||1|
|AHMS 108||Health Data Content & Struct *,+||3|
|AHMS 144||Medical Terminology +||3|
|AHMS 156||Medical Billing Fundamentals *,+||4|
|BIOH 112||Human Form and Function I +||4|
|CAPP 131||Basic MS Office +||3|
|AHMS 158||Legal & Rgltry Aspcts Hlthcare *,+||3|
|AHMS 160||Beginning Procedural Coding *,+||3|
|AHMS 164||Beg Diagnosis Coding: ICD-10 *,+||3|
|AHMS 201||Medical Science *,+||3|
|AHMS 252||Computerized Medical Billing *,+||3|
|M 090||Introductory Algebra (or higher, excluding M 135, M 136, M 191A, and M 191B) **,+||4|
|Select one of the following:|
|PSYX 100||Introduction to Psychology +||3|
|SOCI 101||Introduction to Sociology +||3|
|Select one of the following:|
|WRIT 101||College Writing I **,+||3|
|WRIT 122||Intro to Business Writing **,+||3|
Indicates prerequisites needed.
Placement in course(s) is determined by placement assessment.
A grade of C- or above is required for graduation.