All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sustainable Energy Technician
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Director: Cody Strunk
This program has been modified and is no longer accepting students under this particular version. For the current versions of this program, please visit the catalog pages for the Industrial Technician CAS, the Industrial Technician AAS, and the Renewable Energy Technician AAS programs.
The Sustainable Energy Technician Associate of Applied Science degree program prepares graduates for technician jobs in the rapidly expanding sustainable energy industry. Program graduates have general skills in industrial safety, electrical troubleshooting, hydraulic and pneumatic system operation, and mechanical system repair. They also have specialized skills in programmable logic controls, digital electronics, and wind turbine operations and maintenance. These specialized skills are built on a strong educational foundation in math, writing, communications, and computing.
This program was developed as a workforce development project funded by the Department of Labor’s Community-Based Jobs Training Grant program. Project partners include the Wind Montana project industrial advisory board and four units of the Montana University System: Highlands College Montana Tech, Montana State University-Northern, City College Montana State University, and Great Falls College Montana State University. The program is available on all four campuses.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Identify and practice safe workplace habits.
- Demonstrate familiarity with basic electrical tools and the ability to troubleshoot a basic electrical system.
- Demonstrate familiarity with basic mechanical tools and the ability to repair a basic mechanical system.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of both conventional and renewable energy sources.
- Demonstrate the ability to use personal computers and common operating systems and applications software.
- Develop and practice professional standards of workplace communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate wind industry safety skills, including climbing, rescue, and confined space procedures.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of AC and DC variable speed motor drives.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of programmable logic controllers.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of digital electronics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of wind turbine operations and maintenance procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of college-level algebra.
Estimated Resident Program Cost*
|Tutiion and Fees||$6,380|
Fall 2016 MUS Student Health Insurance Premiums will be changing. Please check the Health Insurance website and/or Student Central for confirmed premium rates. Students will be charged an additional fee of $21 per credit for online/hybrid courses.
Many students need preliminary math and writing courses before enrolling in the program requirements. These courses may increase the total number of program credits. Students should review their math and writing placement before planning out their full program schedules.
GFC MSU Additional Graduation Requirement
|COLS 103||Becoming a Successful Student +||1|
|ETEC 101||AC/DC Electronics I **,+||3|
|NRGY 101||Intro to Sustainable Energy **,+||3|
|NRGY 120||Industrial Safety and Rigging **,+||3|
|NRGY 130||Fundmtl of Mechanical Systems **,+||3|
|Select one of the following:|
|M 095||Intermediate Algebra **,+||4|
|M 121||College Algebra **,+||3|
|M 151||Precalculus **,+||4|
|M 171||Calculus I **,+||4|
|COMX 115||Intro to Interpersonal Communc +||3|
|ETEC 103||AC/DC Electronics II *,+||3|
|ELCT 130||Elec Motors and Generators *,+||3|
|NRGY 110||Fundmtl Hydraul/Pneu Systems *,+||3|
|WRIT 104||Workplace Communications +||2|
|CAPP 156||MS Excel *,+||3|
|ETEC 220||ElectricalPower/Distribution I *,+||3|
|ELCT 250||Programmable Electronic Contro *,+||3|
|NRGY 210||Wind Technician Safety *,+||4|
|ETEC 230||Electric Power/Distribution II *,+||3|
|ETEC 245||Digital Electronics *,+||4|
|ETEC 231||Electronic Drive Systems *,+||3|
|NRGY 230||Wind Turb Operations & Maint *,+||3|
Indicates prerequisites needed.
Placement in course(s) is determined by placement assessment.
A grade of C- or above is required for graduation.