All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact

Residency Requirements

Under policies established by the Board of Regents, in accordance with Montana statutes regarding residency, all applicants for admission and all students at the units of the Montana University System shall be classified as in-state or out-of-state for tuition and fee purposes.

In-State vs. Out-of-State

A person may be classified as in-state following a 12-month continuous period of domicile in Montana with a documented and dated intent to become a resident of Montana as outlined in the Montana University System Guide to Montana’s Residency Policy, provided that the person is not registered for more than one-half of a full-time credit load at any post-secondary institution during the 12-month waiting period. Applicants may request a copy of the Student Guide to Montana Residency Policy from Student Central or download it here. Members of the United States Armed Forces assigned to active duty in Montana, their spouses, and dependent children during the member’s tour of duty may be granted in-state residency for tuition and fee purposes.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Through WUE, students in western states may enroll in many two-year and four-year college institutions at a reduced tuition level: 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition. Visit the WICHE website at: or visit for more specific WUE information. GFC MSU has a limited number of WUE positions available per year. Please contact Admissions for requirements and application materials.

Questions regarding residency status should be addressed to the Admissions Office in Student Central.