All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact

Admission Requirements

Great Falls College is open admission. The only academic requirement is students must have graduated from an accredited high school or earned a high school equivalency. All students must apply for admission, be accepted to the college, have a completed admissions file and complete online orientation prior to registration in courses. Please note that any documents submitted to the College during the admissions process become the property of GFC MSU, and will remain a part of the student’s admission and/or conduct file.

Admissions Steps to Complete before Course Registration:

  1. Complete an Application for Admission
  2. Complete your Admissions File.
  3. Complete Online Orientation.

1. Complete an Application for Admission: 

Applications for admission may be submitted by clicking on the application link above. Prospective students are encouraged to consult with an Admissions Representative if they have questions. Admissions Representatives can be reached at 406-268-3700 or you can schedule an appointment

2. Complete your Admissions File:

A. Provide proof of completion of high school or equivalency.

1. Applicants to any program must submit copies of high school transcripts, high school diploma, HiSET/GED scores or copy of HiSET/GED diploma/certificate to Admissions. These records must be final and include the completion/graduation date. High schools must be accredited by the appropriate state office of public instruction.

High school equivalency may also be met if a student has successfully completed* college-level coursework** at an appropriately-accredited institution.  Official transcripts must be provided***.

*successfully completed coursework means earning a grade of C- or higher

**college-level coursework must have been completed after earning a high school diploma or GED/HiSET.

***please see section about official transcript

2. Home school students must furnish the same application materials as other applicants. If their diploma has not been issued by an accredited home school academy, then they must submit a diploma or final school transcript that is signed by the primary (home) instructor and notarized by an external entity. Home school academies must be accredited by the appropriate state office of public instruction.

B. Furnish immunization records: In order to be in compliance with Administrative Rules of Montana, students taking seven (7) or more credits OR enrolled in a certificate/degree/transfer program must submit proof of TWO vaccinations against measles (rubeola) AND TWO against rubella (German measles). Students must provide documentation that meets the following requirements:

  • Two doses started after 12 months of age
  • Must be at least 28 days between dose 1 and 2
  • Can be as combined (MMR-Measles, Mumps, Rubella) or individual vaccines (Two Measles (Rubeola) and Two Rubella (German Measles)
  • No measles vaccination given before 1967 is valid and no rubella vaccination given before 1969 is valid.
  • Students born prior to January 1, 1957 are not required to submit documentation of immunization.

Official documentation must include the student’s name and date of birth. Types of official documentation include:

  • Immunization record from doctor’s office
  • State-certificate of immunization
  • Record of immunizations from county health department
  • High school transcript including immunizations
  • Military immunization record
  • Yellow Card immunization booklet
  • Childhood immunization booklet
  • Lab results of titers showing immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella

Students can submit blood draw (Titer test) results proving immunity for BOTH measles and rubella; or submit documentation (including dates of illness) of having contracted measles and rubella.

  • Students are authorized to file a medical or religious exemption. Contact Admissions for the exemption form. 

C. Demonstrate readiness for college math and writing: Math and writing readiness is used to ensure placement into appropriate courses. Learn more about readiness.                             

  • Math readiness: Students are required to provide proof of math readiness in order to complete their admissions file and move to advising and registration.
  • Writing readiness: Students are encouraged to provide proof of writing readiness but it is not required to complete their admissions file.
  • Students can provide proof of readiness by the methods below.

1. Students may take the Accuplacer placement assessment (for a fee) at Great Falls College MSU Testing Center. Accuplacer math scores are valid for 5 years from the test date. Accuplacer writing scores are valid for 10 years from the test date. Students are encouraged to prepare for the Accuplacer before scheduling their assessment. Learn more and schedule your assessment here

a. If you live outside of Great Falls, remote testing is available – contact the Testing Center for more information at or 406.268.3711.

b. Special arrangements can be made for those applicants who take a placement test at Great Falls College MSU and who have a documented permanent or temporary disability.

2. Students may submit their ACT or SAT scores. Students may choose to have their ACT or SAT scores sent to the College when they test or provide copies of scores. ACT/SAT math scores are valid for 5 years from the test date. ACT/SAT writing scores are valid for 10 years from the test date. See more information about the ACT.  See more information about the SAT.  

3. Students may submit HiSET scores. HiSET math scores are valid for 5 years from the test date. HiSET writing scores are valid for 10 years from the test date. See information about the HiSET here. 

4. Successful completion of math and writing (within 15 years) at a previous institution may be used for placement. This can be provided via official or unofficial transcripts, as long as the student and institution names are on the documentation

*Note about official transcripts:

  • Official college transcripts must be issued directly from the college or university and must be sent directly to Great Falls College MSU. 
  • An OFFICIAL [paper] transcript is printed on special, watermarked paper. Official paper transcripts are sent in a sealed, signature-stamped envelope.
  • An electronic transcript is considered OFFICIAL if the intended party is the direct email recipient. If emailed to the requestor, then forwarded, it is then considered UNOFFICIAL.
  • An electronic transcript which is printed then re-scanned in an email is considered UNOFFICIAL.

3. Complete Online Orientation All applicants must complete an online orientation prior to scheduling an advising appointment and registering for classes. The Admissions office will provide instructions about orientation once your admission file is complete.

Admission Types

First Time/Freshman Students

First Time/Freshman Students are degree seeking students, who have never attended college before* or have less than 12 credits of successful college level coursework that was not taken through dual enrollment. They are required to complete all admission requirements listed above.

*Even if you have completed dual enrollment courses, you are still considered a first-time student.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are required to complete all admission requirements listed above.  In addition, credits from other appropriately-accredited institution may be accepted as they apply to the established course requirements of Great Falls College MSU under the following guidelines:

  • The transferring student must initiate the request for evaluation of credit during the admission procedure by furnishing an official transcript from the transferring institution(s) and the necessary materials, including copies of the appropriate catalog descriptions or course syllabi to the Registrar's Office. Official transcripts must be issued directly from the college or university, must be official, sealed documents, and must be sent directly to the following address:
    Office of the Registrar
    Great Falls College Montana State University
    2100 16th Ave S
    Great Falls, MT 59405
  • Grades less than a “C-” for previous course work will not be considered for transfer credit. Course work taken more than 5 years prior to transfer request may not be accepted. If transfer credit cannot be granted, the student has the option of challenging a course or courses through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) policy 306.1.
  • Transfer credit will be accepted only as it applies to the student’s declared program of study.
  • Students will be awarded a certificate/degree upon satisfactory completion of all program requirements, provided 25% of the credits required in the degree- related program have been completed at Great Falls College MSU.
  • Transfer credit will be posted on the transcript for accepted transferred course work.
  • Transfer grades are not figured in the grade point average (GPA).
  • Students who wish to appeal a decision regarding acceptance of transfer credit should contact the Registrar's Office to receive information on the appeal process. Students may be asked to provide course descriptions and/or syllabi for an appeal.
  • For more information on transfer work:
  • Transfer applicants may be admitted on academic warning based upon their academic standing at previous institutions.

Re-admission to the College

Students who have previously attended Great Falls College MSU must complete an Application for Re-Admission if they have been absent for one semester, excluding summer. Admissions documents are kept for only 5 years from the last year attended. Students applying for re-admission 5 years or more from last date of attendance will need to provide the required admissions documents.

Re-admitted students must follow the graduation requirements for the catalog under which they are re-admitted. Previously earned credits will be evaluated on the basis of the current degree or certificate requirements. Credits earned 5 or more calendar years earlier will be reviewed by the appropriate Division Director, program director and/or Registrar, who may require repetition of any course in which the content has substantially changed. Re-admitted students will be required to go through the new student registration processes.

Those students applying for re-admission after serving at least one term of academic suspension must complete an Admissions Academic Progress Appeal Form along with the Application for Admission. Such appeals will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Appeal Committee before the student is informed in writing of the re-admission decision.

Admission Requirements for Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree seeking students must complete and submit the Application for Admission. For students taking courses with prerequisite requirements, an appropriate placement exam score, a challenge exam, or transcripts demonstrating successful completion of prerequisite courses will be required. Non-degree students wishing to take more than 6 credits will be required to provide proof of immunization as listed above. Please note that non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Dual Enrollment Early Admission

High school students (age 16 or junior status) may be admitted and allowed to register for college-level courses provided they are academically prepared. This admission requires that the high school counselor or principal approve participation of a student in the college level courses. Additionally, students not yet 18 years of age must provide parental approval. Course records for students will be entered and maintained on a Great Falls College MSU transcript. For more information about dual enrollment, see

Non-immigrant Foreign Students

Great Falls College MSU is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign students. Each non-immigrant foreign student is required to follow the steps outlined below.

The following must be submitted to make an admissions decision:

  1. Completed Application for Admissions and non-refundable $30 application fee (paid in U.S. currency).
  2. International Student Financial Certificate.
  3. Copy of passport.

Once the above items are received, the admission file will be reviewed and an admissions decision is made. Successful candidates will be sent a letter of acceptance. Great Falls College will work with Montana State University to issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant F-1 status to apply for a VISA.

Once accepted, the following is required before advising and course registration.

1. Proof of English proficiency if the student is from countries other than Canada (not including Quebec) and other countries listed here*

A. Providing TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores from an accredited testing service. A minimum score of 525 is the acceptable standard on the paper-based test or 71 on the internet-based test.

B. For other options, such as additional exams or intensive English programs, review the list here

*Please note this link redirects you to Montana State University; we are an affiliate campus.

2. Transcripts

Great Falls College does not perform internal translations/evaluations of international transcripts for any individuals. If a high school or college transcript is not in English, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange and pay for translation and evaluation through one of the third-party evaluation agencies. Agencies approved for evaluation may be found here. Students must also arrange to have the official evaluation sent directly to the college from the agency.

A. High school diploma or transcripts must show proof of completion of the equivalent of an American high school education with satisfactory grades.

B. College transcripts must show satisfactory completion (a grade of C- or higher) for any post-secondary work.

3. Demonstrate readiness for college math and writing: See Readiness section above.

4. Furnish Immunization Records: See Immunization section above.

5. Complete Online Orientation See Orientation section above.